How To Stay Longer In Cambodia

With Proper Visa and, if needed, a Work Permit

"Staying longer" in Cambodia can mean two things: It may simply mean the extension of a tourist visa or it can mean staying for many months or even years in Cambodia for purposes other than being just a passing tourist.

Extension only of the Cambodian Tourist Visa

A tourist visa can be extended for up to another 30 days. A local visa agent can do that for you very easily, or you may do it yourself by making your application for an extension of your stay as a tourist at the Cambodia Ministry of Immigration. The Ministry of Immigration is located in front of the Phnom Penh International Airport (across the highway). You will need to fill up a form, provide a passport-sized photo and pay US$30.00. A local visa agent may charge up to US$45.00 for doing the work for you. If you apply through a visa agent, be sure the person is not a fake visa agent who may ran away with your passport and money.

Staying longer in terms of months or years in Cambodia

For those who plan to stay for many months or years you need two things: 1) You will need to have a Type E Visa, and 2) You may need to have a Work Permit issued by the government of Cambodia.

What is a Type E visa?

More detailed information about the Type-E visa is presented in the page titled "Visa for Expats In Cambodia". Click here to learn more.

What is the Cambodian Work Permit?

The work permit is issued by the Cambodian Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training. It is officially called "Foreigner Work Permit". It is provided in the form of a card. To stay in Cambodia for the purpose of employment or self-employed activity you need to have this work permit. Scroll down to see a sample image of a Cambodian Work Permit card.

Click here to know more about the Cambodian Work Permit

Sample Image of the Cambodian Work Permit Card

Cambodian Work Permit Card for Foreign Nationals